Common questions about early voting and overseas travel

The following are some of the more commonly asked questions relating to early voting.

Who can apply for an early vote?

Anyone who is on the electoral roll. You no longer need to meet a particular reason to apply for an early vote.

When can I cast an early vote?

Early voting commences on Monday 20 February after nominations have closed and ballot papers have been printed and distributed. Early voting in person ends at 6pm Friday 10 March, while postal vote applications must be received by the Commission by 6pm Wednesday 8 March.

What are my early voting options?

There are several options by which an elector can cast an early vote:

  1. In person at an early voting centre at venues within Western Australia, interstate or overseas.
  2. By post – you can apply online provided you have an address to which a postal vote can be sent (within Australia or overseas).
  3. Residents or patients at some hospitals, prisons, aged care facilities and remote communities may be visited by a mobile polling team. Each venue is advised of the date and time of the visit in advance.
  4. By iVote – electors with an incapacity, vision impairment or literacy issue are able to register to cast their vote online or via touch tone telephone.

I will be overseas on election day. How can I cast my vote?

If you are leaving on or after 20 February, you can visit your nearest early voting centre, domestic terminal at Perth Airport, or possibly visit one of the overseas venues. Alternatively you could have you postal vote ballot papers sent to a location overseas if the times are appropriate.

You can also contact the Call Centre on 13 63 06 where an operator can record the fact that you will be absent from WA and will be unable to vote.